Southwestern Chopped Salad
Salad (per serving quantities in parentheses)
- 1 cup 1/4 cup walnut "meat" (or substitute grilled chicken)
- 8 cups 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 cups 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 cups 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cups 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 avocados 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 cup 1/4 cup bell pepper (I used yellow)
- Catalina dressing to taste
Walnut "meat" (makes 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup walnuts soaked for 2 hours
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- large pinch - 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
Catalina Dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper 1/8 teaspoon will give a sweeter dressing/ 1/4 teaspoon a bit more "kick"
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed oil
- If you haven't soaked the walnuts, soak them in water for 2 hours (more is better than less, as soaking in water helps with the texture)
- Drain walnuts from the water they are soaking in and place drained walnuts and spices in a food processor.
- Pulse 5-6 times until the walnuts are chopped and combined with the spices. You want it to be piece-y not minced too much.
- Store in the refrigerator if not using immediately. They store well for several days.
- Using an immersion blender (my choice), food processor or whisk, blend all the ingredients except the oil.
- While mixing, add the oil and continue blending until well combined and creamy.
- Store in a sealed contained in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- I provide quantities for either serving 4 or individual salads.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl. Toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy!