Spanakopita Stuffed Potatoes
- 4 medium russet potatoes 8-10 ounces each, well scrubbed
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping cup diced onion
- 1 10 oz container fresh baby spinach chopped OR 4 cups any combination of fresh and/or frozen chopped spinach. If using frozen spinach make sure it is thawed and pat dry.
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped (or more to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- ¾- 1 teaspoon ground pepper according to tastes
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt according to tastes
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese divided (according to tastes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If you haven't already, pierce potatoes with the prongs of a fork or a knife in a few places - this will allow some of the steam to escape while baking and prevent the potato from splitting open or exploding in the oven.
- Bake potatoes on center rack for 50-60 minutes until tender and starting to bubble through. Amount of time will vary on size of potato.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F after potatoes are baked.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add spinach, parsley, garlic oregano and nutmeg and saute, stirring frequently until spinach cooked and hot, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the baked and cooled potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a large mixing bowl. Place the skins on a baking sheet (covered with parchment paper) or in baking dish.
- Add cream cheese, pepper and salt to the mixing bowl with potatoes. Beat with a hand mixer or stand up mixer until smooth.
- Stir in the spinach mixture and ½ cup feta.
- Pro Tip: Can prepare up everything up until this point ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Then stuff and bake potatoes when ready to serve.
- Stuff each potato skin with about ¾ cup of the filling each. Top each with remaining feta.
Bake and serve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Bake stuffed potatoes for 20-30 minutes or until filling is steaming and the feta is browned, (if filling is warm, 15 to 20 minutes is all you'll need, may take closer to 30 if filling is cold)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Store any extra in the refrigerator and reheat. Or Store the potatoes and stuffing separately and stuff and bake when ready to eat.