Spiced Chickpea Tacos with Kale Slaw
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3-4 tablespoons Enchilada Sauce more or less according to taste
- 1 cup Lactino Kale sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup already made cole slaw mix red cabbage, green cabbage carrots
- 4-6 Gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/ 4 cup Queso Fresco optional
- Sriracha Sauce for drizzle optional
- Cilantro for garnish
Enchilada Sauce (recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate, yields 2 cups sauce)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free plain tomato paste
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
Enchilada Red Sauce (makes 2 cups)
- Measure the flour and spices into a small bowl and place your tomato paste near the stove.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until shimmering (it should be warm enough that the spices sizzle on contact).
- Pour in the flour and spice mixture. While stirring constantly with a whisk, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute.
- Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.
- Low heat to a simmer, whisking often, for 3-5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it. (The sauce will further thicken as it cools.)
- Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.
- Over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a small sauce pan or skillet (just enough to barely cover the pan) until shimmering. Add chickpeas and saute 1-2 minutes to warm.
- Then add warm enchilada sauce. and stir to combine. Heat for 3-5 minutes to warm.
Kale Slaw & tortillas
- Meanwhile mix kale and slaw in a small bowl.
- Optional: Warm tortillas in a microwave by placing on a plate and losely covering with a slightly damp paper towel. This will help make sure the tortillas don't crack and give a better texture.
- In each tortilla place some kale slaw mix, top with spiced chickpeas, then top with avocado, queso fresco if using, cilantro and a few squirts of Sriracha. Enjoy!