Spinach Quinoa Salad Cherries & Almonds
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa already cooked according to package (approximately a heaping 1/3 cup dry quinoa, becomes 1 1/2 cup cooked)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves chopped into slivers or thin strips
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 1/2 cup cucumber diced (approximately 1 small cucumber, skin on or peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch slices, then quartered)
- 1 15- oz. can chickpeas drained and well rinsed
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup sliced almonds according to tastes - I prefer the extra crunch and use 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt I used Almond Milk Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons. olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced (Depending on how garlicky you like it I've been using 1 clove lately!)
Cook quinoa if not already done so
- In a small saucepan, place a heaping ⅓ cup quinoa and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to simmer, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Once water is absorbed, turn off heat and let cool briefly. Fluff with fork before using.
- Note: a heaping ⅓ cup uncooked quinoa will yield about 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa).
- Note: We tend to cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water and just use the extra throughout the week.
Toast almonds (optional)
- Over medium-high heat, saute almonds in a dry saucepan until lightly toasted, stirring frequently so as to not burn any, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.
- In large bowl, gently mix chickpeas and a spoonful or two of dressing to coat.
- Add remaining ingredients -- almonds, spinach, cherries, cucumber and quinoa. Toss together to combine. Add remaining dressing and toss to combine..
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tastes great immediately or allow to settle and flavors to combine. Tastes great day 2 as well.