Spring Greens Pasta in a Lemony White Wine Sauce
- 1 12 oz box Gluten-free Spaghetti
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or more to taste
- 1 12 oz jar marinated artichokes or approximately 1 heaping cup.
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest or approximately 1 lemon
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or approximately juice of 1 lemon (Use 4 tablespoons if you want it more lemony)
- 1/2 -1 cup Parmesan cheese divided and to taste (or Dairy-free Parmesan if Vegan)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- fresh parsley for garnish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- I tend to not use a ton of salt and only use about 1/2 teaspoon, feel free to add more to taste
- You will use the same pot of water to blanch asparagus and cook pasta
- Add Asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes until color brightens.
- Reduce heat and using a slotted spoon, remove asparagus from boiling water and place in a strainer. (Do not drainer water; use the same water to cook the pasta)
- Run cold water over strainer with asparagus to stop broccoli from cooking.
- Set asparagus aside
After aspargus is blanched and just before you add the pasta, start sauce
- In a large, deep saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute or two or until just fragrant.
- Add white wine and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth. Stir to combine and let vegetable/ wine mixture simmer for 7-10 minutes
- While sauce simmers, add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente, generally on the low end of the recommended cooking time on the pasta package.
- Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water before draining into colander.
Back to the sauce,
- After simmering wine and veggie broth for approximately 7-10 minutes, add artichokes, blanched asparagus, and frozen peas, and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes to warm.
- Add cooked pasta, 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup Parmesan, lemon juice, lemon zest (reserve some of garnish is desired) and toss together. (Add some of the reserved water or more vegetable broth as needed) Stir to combine and simmer a minute or two so spaghetti absorbs some of the broth. Add spinach, stir to combine. Dish is ready as soon as spinach wilts.
- Top with Parmesan and lemon zest to taste. Serve and enjoy!