Stir Fry Veggies & Roasted Tofu in Garlic Sauce
Garlic Sauce (recipe adapted from The Spruce) (makes 1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons mirin Chinese rice cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon sesame oil divided
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoon water
- 8 medium garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
- One bunch green onions chopped whites and some greens for garnish.
- Sesame oil 2-3 tablespoons
- 1 bunch Broccolini or broccoli cut lengthwise or into smaller pieces if desired
- 2 medium or 3-4 Eggplant cut into bite size or larger pieces
- 1 medium red pepper rinsed, seeded and cut into thin strips
Tofu, drained, rinsed and cut into 1 inch cubes. (Optional)
White or Brown rice, cooked
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar, tamari, mirin, and ½ teaspoon sesame oil in a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, stirring to combine. (this is the sauce base)
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons sesame oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (around 30 seconds).
- Re-stir the sauce base, add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. (This will take about a minute).
- NOTE: If marinating tofu, take a spoonful or two at this point to marinate tofu.
- Re-stir the cornstarch- water mixture and add it to the sauce a little at a time (stirring as to combine) until it is a desired thickness-- it will thicken quickly as it heats up.
- Transfer to a bowl or liquid measuring cup and set aside until ready to use.
- NOTE: Garlic sauce will thicken, especially if you make ahead. It will thin out as you heat it up. Can always add a touch of warm water and stir it if in want a thinner sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. (Bake at 400 or 425 degrees for less crispy tofu)
- In a medium bowl, place tofu and gently mix with a few spoonfuls of garlic sauce (before adding the corn starch) and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Save extra sauce for serving.
- Lay tofu cubes in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Roast tofu for 10 minutes, flip it, then roast another 5 minutes until golden brown (it will also puff up a bit).
- Set aside. Can be made ahead and heated up when time to serve.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 2-3 tablespoons sesame oil and heat until shimmering but not burning. Add white part of onions and saute a minute or two until just tender.
- Add eggplant and saute 5-7 minutes until starting to get tender. Add broccolini and pepper, cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Cook longer for softer vegetables.
- Add the garlic sauce to the sauteed vegetables and stir to combine. Heat 2-3 minutes until warm.
- Serve over rice with tofu. Garnish with green parts of green onion.
NOTE: To keep the veggies separate in this photo, I sautéed them each separately. First the eggplant, then set aside; then the pepper and broccolini. Then added the additional sauce on top of the veggie after plating them.
2 thoughts on “Stir Fry Veggies & Roasted Tofu in Garlic Sauce”
This garlic sauce is amazing! Someone asks me for the recipe every time I make it!
Thank you!! So happy you and all your friends/ family love it!