Stir Fry with Sesame Veggies & Almond Butter Tofu
1 package firm or extra firm tofu (10-16 oz depending on brand), rinsed, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
Almond Butter Sauce (doubles well, depending on how much extra sauce you want for serving)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp creamy salted almond butter
- 1 Tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 -2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 "squirts" sriracha sauce Optional
- 2-3 Tbsp toasted or untoasted sesame oil divided
- 2-3 Japanese eggplants skin left on, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red Pepper stem, core and seeds removed, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free tamari divided
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup divided
- 1-2 tsp sesame seeds optional
Quick Pickled Asian Cucumbers (recipe adapted from Bon Appetit)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cucumber cut into ¼ inch thick round slices
White or Brown Rice, prepared according to package
Almond Butter Sauce
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup whisk together all sauce ingredients until well combined and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, Sriracha for heat, or maple syrup for sweetness. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. (Bake at 400 or 425 degrees for less crispy tofu)
- In a medium bowl, place tofu and gently mix with a few spoonfuls of almond butter sauce and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. Save extra sauce for serving.
- Lay tofu cubes in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Roast tofu for 10 minutes, flip it, then roast another 5 minutes until golden brown (it will also puff up a bit).
- Set aside. Can be made ahead and heated up when time to serve.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add 1-2 tbsp oil and heat until shimmering but not burning, add eggplant. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Drizzle with 1 tbsp tamari, 1 tbsp maple syrup and sesame seeds (optional) and sauté, stirring frequently an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbsp oil, and when hot, add peppers, Drizzle with 1 tbsp tamari, 1 tbsp maple syrup and sesame seeds (optional) and sauté, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cook longer for softer peppers. Set aside.
Quick Pickled Asian Cucumbers
- Whisk rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce,and crushed red pepper in large bowl.
- Add cucumber slices to vinegar mixture; toss to cover all the cucumbers. Cover and chill ten minutes to 1 hour.
- Place Rice in a bowl, along with eggplant, peppers, tofu and cucumbers. Top tofu with additional almond butter sauce. Sprinkle veggies with sesame seeds for garnish if desired..