Sweet Potato Nachos
- 1 large shallow pan or a rimmed 1/2 baking sheet - I used a le creuset grill pan approximately 8.5in x 12.5 in
Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 large ( or 3 small) sweet potatoes cleaned, dried well and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Avocado Oil or neutral oil like grapeseed or canola
- Kosher salt
- The quantities are guidelines and can be adjusted based on tastes.
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups Mexican blend cheese, Monterrey jack cheese or dairy free alternative, shredded
- 1/2 -1 yellow, orange or green pepper, seeded and diced (yellow or orange just make it more colorful)
- 1 tomato or approx 15 cherry or grape tomatoes, seeded and diced (I like to cut these first, sprinkle with salt and let sit to release their water as I prep the other veggies and beans)
- 1 bunch scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 -1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced for topping (optional) (if you love jalapenos, add them in before baking)
- 1 avocado, cut into bite size pieces for topping
- Optional additional topping: sour cream
Sweet Potato Chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place parchment paper on 2 -3 baking sheets.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little space between them so that they don't touch.
- Lightly brush sides both sides of the sweet potatoes with oil
- Sprinkle sweet potatoes with salt.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Gently turn chips over. Bake an additional 10 minutes until just turning crisp.
- Chips can be made ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large oven proof skillet or rimmed baking sheet (Here I used a Le Creuset "grill pan" approximately 8 1/2in x 12 1/2 in, spread sweet potato chips evenly (they will be overlapping)
- Top with beans, cheese, pepper, tomato and onion.
- Place skillet in hot oven for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with scallions, cilantro, jalapeño if using, and avocado.
- Serve with sour cream as desired.