Sweet Potato Pad Thai Bowl
Sweet Potato Noodles, Vegetables and Tofu
- 1 1/2 - 2 heaping cups Spiralized Sweet Potatoes I purchase already spiralized
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ -1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 -2 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1/4 -1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 14 oz container firm or extra firm tofu drained, rinsed and wrapped in paper towels for 5-10 minutes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- a handful of salted peanuts optional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons tamarind stir fry paste
- 2 tablespoons low sodium gluten free tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 bunch scallions chopped (reserve some of the green parts for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice approximately juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 inch piece ginger sliced
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 "squirts" sriracha sauce
- Juice of 1 small lime approximately 1 1/2 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup hot water you can use less if you want a thicker sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Over medium heat, add oil, tamarind sauce, soy sauce and heat until it is about to simmer. Add scallions and garlic and simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and add ginger, lime juice and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Set aside -- 1/2 will be used to marinate tofu; 1/2 for the shredded Cabbage
- Preheat oven to 450°F, and line baking sheet non-stick foil. (I don't use parchment paper because of it can't withstand such high heat)
- Place the cubed tofu and half the dressing in a large bowl or pan and toss to coat cubes in marinade. Let sit 15 minutes.
- Place tofu in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Top with marinade from the bowl. Roast tofu 10 minutes. Flip, and roast 5 minutes more, or until sides are golden brown. ( Tofu cubes will puff up a bit). Set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a small blender and pulse till blended and smooth, approximately 1 minute or less
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded cabbage, pepper and red or purple cabbage. Toss with remaining dressing to taste. Set aside.
Sweet Potato Noodles
- In a medium skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat. (You don't want too much oil or the noodles get soggy).
- When the oil is hot, place sweet potatoes in the pan and sauté for 5 -10 minutes (depending on size of noodles - thinner ones, 5 minutes, thicker ones 10 minutes), stirring periodically so they don't stick to pan. Just before taking out, sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired (I don't find I need it with all the other flavors in the bowl) and add in sesame seeds and stir to combine.
- In each bowl, add sauteed sweet potato noodles, shredded cabbage mix and roasted tofu. Serve with peanut sauce on the side or drizzle on tofu. Add extra dressing to sweet potato noodles if desired. Garnish with peanuts and green parts of scallions. Serve and enjoy!