Sweet & Sour Stir Fry with fresh Pineapple
Marinade/sauce (make it twice - once for tofu, once for stir fry)
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice
- 5 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp brown sugar
Tofu (you could substitute chicken)
- Extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and cut into ½-inch cubes (I make the entire package, using half now and half for another meal)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3-4 scallions chopped
- 1 large bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chopped
- Whisk together pineapple juice, vinegar, tamari, ketchup and sugar in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup until smooth.
- Make the marinade twice. Once for the tofu and once for the stir fry sauce.
- Place tofu in a medium bowl. Toss with marinade. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, flipping once.
- Set aside.
- (If substituting chicken, marinate chicken, then stir fry separately)
- Add cornstarch to the second batch of marinade and whisk until smooth, creating a slightly thicker sauce.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add scallions and cook another minute.
- Add bell pepper and snap peas, stirring often, until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Add the roasted tofu and pineapple chunks and cook, stirring gently, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Eating Well.