The Best Chocolate Cake with Buttercream Frosting
- Recipe makes a 9x13x2 inch pan OR an angel food cake pan the10 inch round pan with hole in center OR a 2 9 -inch round springform pan (as I used here for a double layer cake)
- TIP: For a double layer cake split batter between 2 spring form pans OR cut the recipe in half and make once for each pan if you want to be extra sure that the cakes are the same size
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ all purpose flour I use GFJules (affiliate link)
- ¾ cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong black coffee I used decaf or 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk to sour milk: use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 c. OR buy the buttermilk and use remainder in pancakes
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Vanilla Frosting (This is enough to cover one cake, double if doing a double layer cake)
- 1 box confectioner sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 1/2 tbsp milk
Chocolate Frosting (This is enough to cover one cake, double if doing a double layer cake)
- 6 Tablespoons butter softened
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 to 6 Tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour whichever pan(s) you're using.
- In large mixer bowl, blend sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 min. or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Frost as desired.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat butter. Add remaining ingredients, and mix until combined and creamy.
- In small mixer bowl, beat butter. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk; beat to spreading consistency. Blend in vanilla. Makes about 2 cups frosting