The Best Gluten Free Stuffing
- 2 large Gluten-free baguettes we used Everybody Eats NYC
- 1 stick butter or dairy free butter
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- Optional: sliced mushrooms mix of shitake and baby Bella
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 chicken or vegetable broth Add more if you feel that that all the cubed bread pieces are not covered and moist enough
- 4 tablespoon fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
Dehydrate the bread to prepare it for stuffing (this step is the key to a great stuffing!)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and place parchment paper on 2 rimmed baking sheets
- Cut into baguette into 1/2 inch - 1 inch cubes (we sliced the loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters). It will be about 10 heaping cups of cubed bread.
- Spread pieces evenly on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake approx 40-50 min until lightly crisped (not brown) & dehydrated. They will have a crouton-like texture but will not be browned.
- Let baked bread cool, then place in a large bowl.
- TIP: You can toast the bread a day or two ahead.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Coat a 9x9 or 10x7 inch baking dish with cooking oil
- Melt butter in a large skillet
- Sauté onion and celery in butter over med/low heat until vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute approximately 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Season with pepper, salt and garlic powder
- Meanwhile, place toasted bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Pour vegetable butter mixture over toasted cubes and gently toss to coat evenly.
- Add broth. Mix gently so that bread is evenly moist (Add additional broth if not all cubed bread pieces are covered or you want a moister stuffing). As you mix, be careful to not break apart or mash the bread-- you want the bread to stay in its cubes before baking.
- Add parsley and sage and again gently toss to evenly distribute without breaking apart the bread.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired
- Transfer to prepared dish
- Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes (this will make the stuffing moist and tender)
- Remove foil and bake an additional 10 mins for the top to get crispy
- Serve and enjoy!