How to build the Ultimate Cheese Board
- 1 soft cheese --a Robiola a brie
- 2 hard cheese -- we used a Challerhocker and Gouda
- 1 Vegan cheese optional -- we often use Kitehill chive cream cheese spread
- Dried Figs
- Dried Apricots
- Gluten-free nut mix or cashews candied pecans
- Fresh Grapes
- Pomegranate seeds
- fresh fruit - strawberries raspberries, apples
- Fig Jam
- Honey Comb
- 4 Gluten-free crackers - we used Absolutely Gluten-free Original Breton Gluten-free Original with Flax, and two Mary's Gone Crackers. Jilz Gluten-free crackers also a great option.
- 1 board - slate wooden, or a serving platter.
How to basics:
- Choose your board. We used a Slate board but a wooden board or serving plate of any kind will do
- Choose your cheeses so that there are different textures and/or different cheese sources (i.e. cow, sheep, goat) -- here we chose a soft cheese and 2 hard cheeses . Sometimes we add a vegan cheese spread.
- Add different flavors and textures: Add salty foods (we did lot of olives), crunchy foods (we added nuts), sweet foods (dried fruit is a great options -- we added dried figs and dried apricots) and fresh fruit (I always love added fresh grapes because they stay fresh the entire evening and are easy to eat, plus we added pomegranates, strawberries and raspberries)
- Add condiments or spreads-- fig jam, honey, olive tapenade.
- Add your favorite gluten-free crackers. We looked for different shapes.
- Overall tip: in choosing all the above, think about choosing things are are different colors, different shapes and different textures to add interest to your board including seasonal items.
- Have fun with it!
Before assembling the entire board, do a test run. Take a few pieces of each item you're using and lay out out on your board so see how things will look next to each other.
- Try to separate items that are similar colors and put contrasting colors or textures near one another for visual appeal.
- Separate the cheeses for visual appeal.
- Consider putting some items in little bowls for visual interest as well.
- When happy with your "test board", place everything on the board. Serve and enjoy!