This recipe was adapted from Alicia Silverstone’s The Kind Life.
Walnut Date Bliss Bites
- heaping 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chocolate chips depending on how sweet you like them (we use 1/3 cup Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips)
- scant 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter we used Barney Butter Smooth
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats add more as desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut for rolling
- Place walnuts in food processor and mix for 30 seconds or until coarsely chopped.
- Add in dates, and pulse until well mixed with the nuts.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse 5 times to break down a bit and combine with nuts and dates.
- Add maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla extract, oatmeal and salt. Process until smooth, thick and well combined. You may have to scrape down the sides several times before mixture is well combined because it will be thick. It mixture seems too wet still, add the additional 1/4 cup oatmeal.
- Stream almonds while mixing, and process about 1 minute or until they are in small chunks.
- Form mixture into golf ball size balls with your hands. Your hands will feel "oily" as you do this because the oils have broken down from the nuts during processing, but that the bliss bites will not be oily.
- Roll balls in coconut. (Note: you can also eat them without rolling in coconut)
- Put in a sealed container and store in freezer.