Moroccan Sweet Potatoes
Moroccan Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 1 cup 200 g dried brown or pardina lentils, rinsed (I used brown lentils)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small white or yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 to matoes chopped, or 1 (14.5 oz, or 411 g) can diced tomatoes, drained (I used diced tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated or minced fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste or 1 teaspoon ground chili powder (I used chili powder)
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 120 g firmly packed baby spinach
- Water as needed
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses optional - I didn't use
- 1 ⁄2 cup 125 ml Everyday Lemon Tahini (See below)
Optional toppings: Chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh cilantro, snipped fresh chives or chopped scallions
Everyday Lemon Tahini Dressing (Males 2/3 to 3/4 cup) (160 TO 175 ML)
- 1 ⁄4 cup 60 ml warm water, plus more if desired
- 1 ⁄4 cup 60 g tahini
- 1 clove garlic finely minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Moroccan Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the sweet potatoes on the lined baking sheet and prick each several times with a fork. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until fork - tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils by placing them in a large pot covered with 3 to 4 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until tender, about 18-20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cool running water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the seeds start to pop. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender and translucent. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Decrease the heat to low and stir in the lentils, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, harissa, and salt, then stir in the spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has wilted, adding water by the 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) if needed to prevent sticking. Stir in the pomegranate molasses.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Cut each sweet potato in half and use a fork to coarsely mash the flesh, still in the skin.
- Place two halves on each serving plate and top them with a generous scoop of the lentils. Serve right away, with a drizzle of the tahini dressing and the optional fresh herbs.
Everyday Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup and whisk until evenly blended.
- If the dressing is thicker than you’d like, whisk in water by the tablespoonful to achieve the desired
- Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the dressing will keep for 1 week.