Caprese Salad with Greens and Basil Vinaigrette
Basil Vinaigrette (makes 3/4 cup dressing)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh basil packed
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oii canola oil or neutral oil of choice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard start with 1 and taste. 1 1/2 makes it a bit creamier but you taste the Dijon more
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 -6 packed cups lettuce of choice - for this salad I like green or red leaf lettuce, a Spring mix or Romaine (or 1 5oz box if using a pre-packaged container)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1-2 cups fresh mozzarella balls halved (according to taste)
- Put the salt and garlic in a food processor or blender and pulse to chop and combine
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until basil is completely minced and all ingredients well combined.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Even add a little bit more mustard or vinegar for some tang...you really can't go wrong!
- In a large bowl combine lettuce and some of the dressing. Top with tomatoes and mozzarella, drizzle with additional dressing and enjoy!